The Idaho District Export Council
The Idaho District Export Council (DEC) is a volunteer Organization drawn from Idaho industries and service providers whose knowledge of international business provides a unique source of professional advice to help other Idaho firms compete and win business in the international marketplace. The Idaho DEC works closely with the Boise Export Assistance Center of the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Commercial Service to accomplish its mission through:
- Counseling, educating and mentoring local businesses;
- Identifying sources of trade and project finance;
- Identifying key issues affecting U.S. and Idaho industry competitiveness in the global marketplace;
- Multiplying the efforts of the Boise Export Assistance Center.
- Exports that strengthen individual companies, stimulate U.S. economic growth and create jobs.
- Export expansion activities by working with the U.S. Commercial Service and specifically with the Boise Export Assistance Center.
- Opportunities to promote greater export activity at the state level by developing a trade assistance network.
- Contribute leadership and international trade expertise to complement the export promotion efforts of the U.S. Commercial Service through counseling businesses on the exporting process and conducting trade education and community outreach.
Idaho DEC History
The Idaho District Export Council is a diverse group of volunteer international trade professionals who meet for plenary sessions addressing international issues and awareness. Members are exporters of manufactured products and services, providers of export support services (accounting, finance, legal, transportation, etc.) academia, and leaders of non-profit organizations of state and local government.
District Export Councils (DECs) which are affiliated with the U.S. Department of Commerce date from 1973 when the President directed the Secretary of Commerce to establish DECs throughout the United States to stimulate greater participation in a national export effort. DECs are an organization of local community leaders appointed by the Secretary of Commerce whose knowledge of international business provides a source of professional advice to companies seeking to expand international sales. DECs play a major role in the planning and coordination of export expansion activities of the U.S. Department of Commerce and serve as a communication link between the business community and the Department.
Each DEC has approximately 30 members, at least half of whom are exporters. Members also include export trading or management company representatives; bankers; international lawyers and accountants; freight forwarders; and others whose profession supports the U.S. government’s export promotion mission.
If you have an interest in contributing your knowledge and special talents to the Idaho DEC or, if we can provide a speaker for your event or answers to your questions on international trade, finance, logistics, marketing or documentation please contact us.
Contact: Amy Benson, IDEC Director
E-mail: [email protected]